Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Review: Anna and the French Kiss

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton
Publication Date: December 2nd 2010
Pages: 372
Genre: YA
Source: Library
My Rating: 3 Starfish


Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets √Čtienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, √Čtienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?-
Summary and cover image from Goodreads



The first half of the book was brilliant! I loved the characters (especially St. Clair!) and the story line was really cool. Seriously, who wouldn't want to live in Paris for a while? However, after about halfway through, the book started going downhill for me.

Plot: I liked the romance A LOT! It was kind of slow growing instead of insta. I liked the dysfunctional family stuff that was going on with both Anna and St. Clair. All of Anna's adventures in Paris with her friends were enjoyable! The last half of the book became ridiculously dramatic, though. I had a hard time liking it after that.

Setting: I love that most of the book takes place in Paris! I don't know much about it, so it was cool to read about Notre Dame, the bistros, and the theatres (which was definitely my favorite part!)

St. Clair: He was so HOT! I loved his charm, his sense of humor, his name, his accent, basically his everything. I didn't like the fact that he stayed with his stupid girlfriend for so long, but that's my only complaint about him.

Anna: It's rare when I actually like a heroine, so it didn't surprise me when I didn't take to Anna. I liked her with St. Clair, but I didn't like her by herself. She was kind of shallow, and she did a lot of stupid things in the last half of the book. However, she does have excellent taste in movies, most of the ones she watched are ones that I own!

Secondary Characters: I liked her friends, Meredith was probably my favorite out of the minor characters. The friends were funny and realistic, and I could relate to certain things about each of them. Is it just me, or is Amanda the exact replica of Celeste from "The Selection"?

The First Half: Two words: loved it! It was so fun and well written, St. Clair and Anna were so cute together! I loved their email conversation over Christmas break. Totally adorbes! And the Thanksgiving break?!?! *fans self* It was perfection.

The Last Half: Everything started getting ridiculous after they got drunk. Why do characters drink because they always end up doing or saying something that hurts someone else in the story. And why do the main characters hook up with losers? Seriously, Dave? Anna wasn't using her brains on that one. I had a BIG problem with the Bridgette thing: Anna was thinking to herself after all that drama passed, and she said, "The attraction was there, and I wasn't there, and they got together, and Bridge couldn't help it." Um, excuse me, but you can always help what you do. This statement she makes is a load of crap. Real friends would back off and control themselves. I think it's sad that these characters think it's okay, because it's not.

I have such a hard time relating to characters who do things like getting drunk, making each other jealous, stealing boyfriends, getting high, partying, etc... because I've never done this stuff and I don't have any interest to. Just ONCE, I would like to read a contemporary YA book, where the main character doesn't do any of this because not every teenager does.

Sorry for my long rant. I know that a lot of people really liked this book, so I'm sorry that I have so many issues with it. But I really did love most of the book, which is why I gave it 3 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like all the dragging at the last half of the book either. I was like OK you like him, he likes you... it's so OBVIOUS just figure it out. I didn't like that St. Clair stayed with his g/f for so long. Like creepy long. You can't follow a girl around like a puppy dog all day and then go hang out with your girlfriend... that is icky. I did like the book alot... the mood, Paris, the movie stuff, and Anna herself (I liked her). But sometimes they did dumb stuff and I totally agree the last half could have been better!

    ReplyDelete