Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: The Death Cure

Title: The Death Cure
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: October 11th 2011
Pages: 324
Genre: YA
Source: Purchased
My Rating: 4 Starfish

Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
- Summary and cover image from Goodreads


My feels were all over the place while I was reading this. So, I will try to explain my feelings as coherently as possible.

Plot: Parts of the plot were predictable, though I'm not stating that as a bad thing. The book in its entirety was thrilling and heart-wrenching. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't bear to part with it for even a second! I thought it was a perfect way to end the trilogy. I'm going to warn you that it is an extremely sad book, and that you should have a box of tissues at the ready.

Setting: Set in a post- apocalyptic world, everything has finally come to a head. Wicked is falling apart at the seams, and Thomas and the gang are close to finding a cure....and possibly a way to escape the inevitable end. I thought the setting was exhilarating. A little too crazy to be real, but I loved it nonetheless.

Shock Factors: I get so angry just thinking about this. There are several shockers, one of which almost moved me to violence (if you've read this book before, then you should know what I'm referring to). There was a surprising turn of events that happened at the end, and I was completely caught off guard and confused. It was definitely an interesting twist to throw in, but I'm not sure that I like it.

Thomas: Thomas was the most emotional I've ever seen him be. I think part of the reason why I don't understand him is the fact that he's not an emotional kind of guy. I did like his friendship with Newt and Minho, but since this is the final book, I have to give my honest opinion of Thomas: he's not much of a hero. He helps his friends out when they're in trouble, but he also looks out for himself a lot, which struck me as too selfish. To me, a hero should be like Beowulf; completely selfless to the end, putting everyone else first. Maybe Thomas is a little too flawed and that's why he was a turn off for me.

Newt: I can't. I just can't. *weeps quietly in the corner*

Minho: Minho (thankfully!) didn't change much, considering all of the crap he went through. I'm glad he was still able to crack a joke now and again.

Secondary Characters: I love that there are so many characters in this trilogy. Some were more fleshed out than others, but all were realistic and interesting. There were a few characters that I had theories on that ended up surprising me (in a good way), and I liked that the author threw in character twists as well as plot twists.

Strengths: Everything was summed up pretty well. I didn't have any lingering questions from the first two books. I was very happy with the ending, because as you know, most dystopias suck at wrapping things up in a way that satisfies the reader.

Weaknesses: I can't go into a lot of detail, but the way they escaped seemed disjointed from the rest of the book. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

This book really was amazing. I'd recommend The Maze Runner trilogy to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment