Thursday, February 13, 2014

Review: These Broken Stars

Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: December 10th 2013
Pages: 374
Genre: YA
Source: Purchased
My Rating: 3 Starfish

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it
.- Summary and cover image from Goodreads



I read many glowing reviews about this book and decided it was about time I read it myself. I didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't get through it.

Plot: The plot was fairly fast-paced and interesting. I don't usually read science fiction novels, but I was surprised at how easily I got sucked into this one. A lot was happening at the beginning, and then it took on a more steady (not necessarily slow) pace. I liked the character growth, and I was so happy that it wasn't another insta-love story. The suspense built up to crazy proportions and I was completely wigging out when it all came to a head. I wasn't expecting there to be "other life forms", and though I don't usually go for that sort of thing, I thought it was pretty cool.

Setting: The beginning takes place on a massive spaceship that's ripped from hyperspace and sent crashing into an unknown planet. This planet has giant cat-like beasts and strange supernatural things going on with it that add to its overall creepiness. I was simultaneously in love and freaked out with the setting.

Shock Factors: I was surprised several times...I don't know that I would say I was shocked. The ending was definitely well-played and the authors did a wonderful job creating suspense.

Tarver: He started off not really liking Lilac (and vice-versa), but gradually fell in love with her over time. He was brave, strong, smart, and determined. Most girls swoon over him, but I never took a real liking to him. It was kind of hard to get into the love story part of it since I didn't care for Tarver that much, but I thought he played the hero part well.

Lilac: Lilac was even harder for me to get into. She was really irritating at the start of it all, but she did change and she was much more likeable at the end of the book. She wasn't all that smart as far as common sense goes, but she did know her way around the engineering stuff (her father constructed all of his ships and she loved learning about it). I loved that she became completely selfless towards the end and tried to save Tarver several times. It showed how much she genuinely loved him.

Just a little thing I have to add about the characters: I liked the villain's complexity. It always fascinates me when there is a villain who does the most grotesque things, but then shows sincere love and affection towards another character. I really wanted to get inside his head just to see what was going on up there. I think authors should write more books from a villain's perspective.

Strengths: The plot was easy to get into and keep interested in. The slow growing love as opposed to unrealistic insta-love was refreshing. I liked that I couldn't predict the outcome of the story.

Weaknesses: It just wasn't my cup of tea. I know a lot of people like it, but it just wasn't engaging enough for me to become a fan.

I think science fiction and romance lovers should give this book a try. Just because I thought it lacked pizazz, doesn't mean that you will too.


2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, but I also think it had some flaws so I can understand why you had issues with it. I got spoiled by the main shock - my own fault because I accidentally flipped pages and saw a revelatory sentence. But there were some great surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've accidentally read sentences ahead of time too, especially when it's the last page of the chapter and there's only a couple of lines so my eyes automatically try to read them all at first glance. Lol. I'm glad you liked the book more than I did.

      Delete