Friday, March 14, 2014

Review: The Fault In Our Stars

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton
Publication Date: January 10th 2012
Pages: 318
Genre: YA
Source: Purchased
My Rating: 3 Starfish

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. - Summary and cover image from Goodreads


 While there were many things that I did enjoy about John Green's "The Fault In Our Stars", I was left feeling slightly disappointed. I wanted a lot more out of it than what I got.

Plot: I haven't read very many cancer books, but out of all of them, I thought that this one was the most raw and heartfelt. I liked the way the story progressed. There weren't hardly any slow parts. Every event in the book either focused on the love story or on the harsh truths of living with cancer.

Writing Style: John Green's writing is superb. That's probably the biggest reason why I liked this book. He takes a sucky situation, and molds it into a beautiful love story. The dialogue was witty and funny, and I found myself admiring John Green's intelligence throughout the book. A lot of the things that the characters thought about or talked about went right over my head. I felt pretty inferior while reading this, to be honest!

Shock Factors: I saw everything coming pretty early on in the book as far as the cancer stuff goes. I was surprised when they went to visit that author at his home, he was like.....yeah.....anyway, that was unexpected. The only thing that actually shocked me was Augustus' attitude towards the end of the story. I was really disappointed in him.

Hazel: I admired her strength. She was really funny and smart, but her overall personality struck a nerve with me. I understood that she was going through something horrible, but I still didn't like the way she acted around or talked to people sometimes. She seemed very distant, even to Augustus towards the end, and I think that bothered me more than anything else.

Augustus: He was very charming and sorta goofy, but not in an obvious way. He liked metaphors a lot, which I didn't really get, but I went with it anyway. He was really cute whenever he did something "couple-y" with Hazel. Basically, I liked him through the first half of the story, but I definitely didn't care for him later on. Well, it's not that I didn't care, I did care, which is why he frustrated me so much. But I mainly felt sorry for him when he let grief overtake him. I wished he wouldn't have changed.

Strengths: The writing is what I love the most. This book has pretty much everything from humor to heartbreak. It's a book that I think anyone can relate to.

Weaknesses: When I said at the beginning of my review that I wanted to get more out of it, this is what I meant by that: I expected it to fully live up to its hype, which it did not. I had heard that the love story was so incredible, etc... etc..., but I didn't think the love story was all that great. As I said earlier, the writing was what I really loved. Hazel and Augustus didn't click for me. She seemed too emotionally detached, and he proclaimed his love for her, but I didn't see any proof of it. They weren't insta-love (thank goodness), but I didn't really believe that they were "in love".

Anyway, I always have something good and bad to say about the books I read. Even though I thought the love story was lacking, this book really should be read by everyone. It's fantastic, and John Green is practically a genius.

2 comments:

  1. The humor to heartbreak totally got me too, and I agree Hazel is a strong and amazing heroine to read about.
    Are you going to see the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm very excited for the movie. Especially since Shailene and Ansel are playing in Divergent as brother and sister. Doesn't that seem weird to you? It does to me, so I'm curious

      Delete