Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Review: Prodigy

Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: January 29th 2013
Pages: 371
Genre: YA
Source: Purchased
My Rating: 3 Starfish

Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?- Summary and cover image from Goodreads.


I didn't like this book as much as the first. It was a lot slower, and honestly, a bit of a let down. The first book was really action-packed, and every event led up to the emotionally whopping climax at the end. If "Prodigy" had ended the same way, I probably would have liked it a lot more. But instead, it kept going, and so it felt kind of like climbing up the hill, finally reaching the top, and then going back down, which isn't as exciting as going up. Does that make sense?

June started to grow on me a little in "Prodigy". Her intelligence blew my mind, and I liked that she caught on quickly to what was going on around her. I would have really hated it if she would've made the same mistakes she made in "Legend".

Day is not my favorite at all. He's very rebellious and too much of a bad boy for my taste. His chapters were really boring compared to June's, and he just started to get on my nerves.

As far as secondary characters go, Eden is a cutie pie. I was really glad that Day had someone left from his family to look after. Tess got on my nerves a bit too. She seemed way more grown up, which wasn't a bad thing, but I liked her better when she was more sweet and innocent. I really liked Anden, and I was glad that there was a bit of a love triangle (seeing as I'm a huge fan of those). I liked his and June's relationship more than I liked hers and Day's. Maybe it's because Day and June were insta-lovey. Anyway, I was secretly hoping that she would forget about Day and start dating Anden. Now, don't go raising your pitchforks at me, but I just don't believe in Day and June as a couple. I couldn't feel the connection.

There were several surprises along the way, none of which I was expecting. I really like these books because of their suspense. I would still recommend them to anyone who's a fan of Dystopias, even though the second book paled in comparison to the first.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment