Saturday, March 1, 2014

Things I Hate/Love In YA

Hello everyone!!! I was thinking about this the other day, and decided it would be fun to make a list and post it on the blog. (I make a list for everything, no joke). I thought about writing a review instead, but I like this idea better.
 

Things I Hate In YA
 
1. Insta-Love. I have read a lot of books where the romance just wasn't there for me because the connection felt too rushed. I do think that it's not necessarily how much time the two characters spend together that makes it instant love, it's how the author writes it. If you can read it and believe it, then that, my friend, is a good author.
 
2. Alternating Points of View. I like reading a story from the eyes of the female or male lead, not from both. I don't know why I prefer it that way, but it does get really hard to stay interested when so many characters are involved. Maybe it's because I don't get too invested in any of them, whereas, with just one perspective, I get attached more easily.
 
3. A Sucky Male Lead. I hardly ever like the heroines, and that doesn't bother me. But if I don't like the guy that she's hooking up with (or if it's a love triangle and I don't like either of her options), then I'm out. I can't even finish the book when this happens.
 
4. Non-Virgin Heroines. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who prefers this, but I don't read books where the female lead has had sex before. I think it's a lot more intense and passionate if she meets the guy in the first book, and then she has sex with him in the last one, and it's her first time. I just feel like, since they've never experienced intimacy before on that level, that they get so wrapped up in it, and in turn, also gets the reader more wrapped up into the story. Does that make sense?
 
5. Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Angels & Demons, Ghosts, Zombies, and Aliens. This is just my personal taste. Sometimes there will be an exception such as, The Mortal Instruments. But most of the time, I can't stand books with anything remotely related to the above.
 
6. Too-Stupid-To-Live Heroines. I know I'm not the only one who gets tired of seeing this. If the girl is just annoying or is someone that I can't bring myself to like, then that's fine. It's whatever. BUT, when she does something so profoundly stupid, it's like...she just needs to jump off a cliff and exit the story, then I might start enjoying it more.
 
7. Drinking, Partying, Drugs, High School Drama, Etc... I'm over all this stuff. After reading it repeatedly in every contemporary book I pick up, it starts to get old. Surely you can understand that.  
 
 
Now, onto something more upbeat...
 
 
Things I Love In YA
 
1. Love Triangles. I know, I know, most readers can't stand it anymore. I still find them enjoyable, and I love all the uncertainty when you're not sure who's going to win in the end. I can't help it, they're just fantastic!
 
2. Crazy, Futuristic Worlds. I don't know why, but I love stepping into a world that "could be". I'm always very moved by what has happened to everyone, and why it happened in the first place, and how everyone's holding up. The writing is powerful and it's like I AM one of those characters by the time I've finished reading. I really like the different ideas that everyone has about the future.
 
3. Relatable Characters. Obviously, it's pretty awesome when a book character has many of the same traits as you. I love when I can truly understand or appreciate a character because it makes me actually care about what happens to them.
 
4. Humor. As far as the tragic dystopians go, a little humor is always good to help lighten the overall mood of the book. But mostly, I just really like to laugh!
 
5. Hot Male Leads. Yes please! This always makes a book better, in my opinion.
 
6. Shocking Plot Twists. I love it when a book can give me the full spectrum of feels! I was reading "Legend" the other day, and I gasped aloud a few times...and I almost threw the book across the room. Love it when that happens!
 
7. Sexy Scenes. While reading Chapter 62, I was like, "Excuse me while I go take a cold shower, and then pass out". Honestly, the sexy parts are a big reason why I started reading YA in the first place.
 
8. Fairly Fast-Paced Storylines. It doesn't necessarily have to be action-packed, it just needs to be interesting. Books that have slow parts make my brain feel like its turning to mush. And I don't like to skip parts in books because I might miss something important. So yeah, I love books that hold my interest throughout.
 
9. Misunderstood Villains. This is almost a must for me. Okay, I don't have to have it in every book, but I love it when there's a villain who does terrible things, but all they desire is love or something like that. I just think that characters like this are interesting and fun to read about. And when a book or novella is written in their point of view, it's like magic! Warner is the first one to come to mind, but I've heard bloggers mention the Darkling before.
 
 
So there's my love/hate lists. What do you guys love and hate about YA books? Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment