Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

TTT is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
 
 
 
This week's TTT is:
Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in the Christian Genre
 
 
Before I discovered the wonderful genre that is YA, I read mostly Christian books. I just recently switched over, and I honestly haven't read enough YA to make a top ten list. But some of my favorite books are in the Christian genre, so I thought it would be fun to share those with you instead. I really like to explore different genres, just in case there's a hidden gem somewhere. So maybe you will find one of these books interesting and dabble a bit outside of what you normally read. These books are in order of my favorite favorites down to my least favorite favorites.
 
 
 
1. Loving Soren by Caroline Coleman O'Neil. My absolute favorite book. The heroine is almost exactly like me (no joke), and I can relate to her struggles with her beliefs and her love life. What's really cool about this book is that it's based on a true story. There really was a philosopher named Soren, who seduced a young girl and then wrote a book about how he did it (You can actually by his book on Barnes and Noble). A few of the passages in Loving Soren are taken straight from Soren's and Regine's diaries. Basically this book is awesome, and you should definitely look into it.   
 
2. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. Stargirl is not a religious book, but it was written by a religious author. It's one of my all time favorites, so I couldn't resist squeezing it into the list. Stargirl (who is one of the most unique characters I've ever read about) falls for a normal kid, who wishes Stargirl could be normal too. The sequel is just as good as the first one, and I can't praise them both enough!   
 
3. A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers. This book takes place in Rome, back when gladiators fought to the death, and Christians were being persecuted mercilessly. Hadassah, a Christian slave girl, falls in love with the son of the family she takes care of. The characters are all so complex and fascinating, and Francine writes the story so well!
 
4. Montana Marriages by Mary Connealy. I've mentioned this trilogy before in one of my TTT posts. These books sucked me in immediately, and I could not put them down! Besides having one of the coolest character developments in history, these books are funny and have loads of excitement! There was never a dull moment for me while I was reading them.  
 
5. A Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers. This series is about five women of the Bible who had the courage to follow God's plans for them, no matter how tough the situations became. My two favorites out of these are Tamar and Rahab, but they all teach an important lesson, and I found myself genuinely enjoying them. 
 
6. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. This book is actually pretty risqué for a Christian novel. The heroine of the story is a prostitute, who's not looking for anyone to save her from her miserable life. But when Michael Hosea falls in love with her, she grudgingly accepts his proposal of marriage, and despite claiming to never love him back, finds herself growing more attached to him as the days go on. If you're a die-hard fan of romance, then this book is for you.  
 
7. Brides of Gallatin County Trilogy by Tracie Peterson. The books follow the lives of three head-strong sisters as they learn how to manage the family business after the death of their dearly- loved father. The characters are all so loveable, and the romance is super cute!
 
8. Plain and Fancy by Wanda E. Brunstetter. I love Amish books. I'm not sure why I do, but I just find their way of life really interesting. I guess I like the simplicity of it all. In this book, a normal girl falls in love with an Amish guy (forbidden love alert), and they can't be together unless one gives up their way of life for the other. In most Amish books that I read where a situation like this comes up, the guy always changes for the girl. However, I never believe that the girl's love is sincere because she didn't have to give up anything or really do anything. But Plain and Fancy sticks out in my head because she changed for him, and that kind of proved to me that she was in love with him.
 
9. The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers. I know that I have a lot of Francine Rivers on my TTT, but she is such an amazing writer! I loved how strange and dark this book was. It's definitely not what you expect from a Christian genre. I'm not even sure how to describe it because it's so unusual. It's basically about two friends, who want to know more about the sin eater, and in their curiosity, they stumble across some dangerous secrets. I also have to praise the particular writing style of this book. Francine's characters all have thick accents, and she wrote the words the way they sound coming out of the characters' mouths. Pretty cool, huh?
 
10. The Sisters of the Quilt Trilogy by Cindy Woodsmall. No love triangle gets my dander up faster than this one does. However, I had to include it on this list because you can't see anything coming. Everything that happens is unpredictable, and it gives the story some suspense. I can't say too much without giving something away, but I couldn't stop reading them once I was hooked.
 
 
    
Have you read any of these books before? What's on your TTT? Leave a link if you'd like and I promise to stop by! :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I haven't read any of these books. I generally don't read Christian books (not because I avoid, just because it just ends up like that), but I really want to try Stargirl. My bestie is a reluctant reader and she loved it!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take the advice of your friend and go read Stargirl ASAP! :)

      Delete
  2. Great list, Stargirl was one of my favourites as a kid. Still is now! I loved the sequel too. New Follower, hi!

    ★ Under The Mountain's Top Ten Dystopia ★

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!!! Yeah, Stargirl is pretty amazing. I keep secretly hoping that Jerry will write a third book. :)

      Delete
  3. Great pick. I haven't really read many Christian books because I'm not religious, but I have had my eye on Stargirl for a while now. Some of these sound great and may have to add a few to my own TBR list. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! And Stargirl is really good, I promise

    ReplyDelete