Friday, April 4, 2014

Review: Reboot

Title: Reboot
Author: Amy Tintera
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 7th 2013
Pages: 365
Genre: YA Dystopia
Source: Purchased
My Rating: 4 Starfish

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders. -
Summary and cover image from Goodreads



Reboot was a lot better than I expected it to be! When I first read the synopsis, I scoffed because dead people coming back to life is not my thing. However, even though it sounded like a zombie book, I gave it a try and was shocked that the characters were still very human despite being "reboots".

The plot was fast-paced and kept me interested to the very end. I liked that everything wrapped up and there were no major cliffhangers (I seriously hate those). The whole reboot process was really cool, and like I said before, even though they were technically "dead" I didn't think of them as being that.

When a person dies, the longer that they are dead before rebooting, determines how much human emotion they have left. Our main character, being dead for 178 minutes, doesn't have much emotion left in her. I honestly thought that having no human feelings would make her completely unrelatable to me, but thankfully that wasn't the case. I loved how kick-butt she was. She wouldn't go down without a fight. It didn't matter if both of her legs were broken, or she was shot at a hundred times, she just hopped back up and kept going. I remember thinking to myself, "Dang, this chick is crazy!" Despite being super tough, she had some insecurities, which made her even more likeable and realistic to me.

Callum. I loved him right off the bat. He was SO adorable! I had a stupid grin on my face whenever he and Wren were together. They balanced each other out perfectly.. He was na├»ve at times, and innocent at the beginning, but he became really tough towards the end. I liked that he was a better fighter, but that he still had compassion for everyone around him. Sure, there were many a moment when I wanted to bang my head against the wall because he wouldn't do what he was supposed to, but I understand his reasons for refusing.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The sequel will be coming out in MAY! *squeals* And it will be the finale. I kind of wish these books could become a trilogy because I'm not ready to say goodbye to the characters yet!

If you haven't read Reboot yet, then do it. And then come back in May so we can fangirl over that book too!

2 comments:

  1. This book seems to be one of those everyone heard about but keeps putting off for more interesting ones, even though they shouldn't. I only read this book recently too, because that blurb really wasn't the most appealing and I was similarly surprised like yourself at how enjoyable it was. The ending set up what I hope will be a pretty epic sequel, and it's only a month away! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that everyone shouldn't put off this book based on the blurb. It really was a good read, and the sequel?! *jumps up and down* Yes, lets start the countdown!

      Delete